The Armory Art Center welcomes artists, with either a B.F.A. or M.F.A, to be a part of the Armory’s eight month Artist in Residence Program (AIR). This highly competitive program attracts a diverse group of people with varied backgrounds. AIRs have the opportunity to learn through workshops, eight week classes and special events. At the same time they develop a portfolio of their own work in the studio, culminating in a show of the work produced during their tenure. While at the Armory, AIRs are strongly encouraged to offer classes to our large student population. Residencies are available in 2D media, ceramics, jewelry and sculpture; residents receive a monthly stipend. Further criteria, details and the application are below.
Residency Period: September 1, 2013 – May 1, 2014
ARTIST IN RESIDENCE POSITIONS:
EACH RESIDENCY INCLUDES:
· Production studio area (approx. 150 sq ft)
· Artist in Residence gallery exhibition
· Monthly stipend
· Additional income opportunities such as teaching workshops and classes
· Workshop attendance opportunities with visiting master artists
· At least 20 hours weekly on premise (producing your work)
· Be responsible for keeping facilities and equipment clean for others’ use and undertake regular maintenance and organizational tasks necessary for upkeep of communal studio (average of 15-20 hours a week).
· Participation in the collective life of the studio
· Up to 10 hours annually of community outreach (slide lectures or demonstrations)
· Be a monitor for studio hours and assist Master Artist Workshops when needed.
· Contribute a piece to an annual Armory Art Center Fundraiser.
· Participate in Armory special events as needed
Armory Art Center Ceramics Residency
The program is seeking a potter or sculptor with competence in throwing, hand building, firing reduction and soda kilns. The resident artist will have complete access to the ceramic studio.
· Studio glazes and Firing Included
· Access to common area, glaze room, glaze material room, clay mixing room
· Equipment: 1 slab roller; spray booth; 3 extruders; electric wheels
· Kilns: 45 cu ft downdraft natural gas kilns; natural gas soda kiln, 30 cu ft natural gas fiber kiln; raku kiln; 7 electric computer controlled kilns; electric test kiln, Soldner clay mixer, pug machine
Armory Art Center Sculpture Residency
The program is seeking two sculptors with competence in clay hand-building and firing in addition to experience with metals, stone, wood and/or foundry experience. The artists will have complete access to the sculpture studios (clay, metal, stone, wood and foundry) as well as studio space.
· Ceramic Studio ( access with Ceramic Department Chair permission)
· Figurative Studio: slab roller, Electric Olympic FL20 Kiln.
· Stone Studio: compressor, carving equipment, etc.
· Metals Studio: MIG (1), TIG (2), Plasma (1), Arc (5).
· Foundry: 100lb crucible, burn out kiln, wax room, etc.
· Wood Studio: Planer (1), Joiner (1), Band Saw (2), sanders, etc.
Application Deadline: Applications must be postmarked by Saturday, April 20, 2013 (Notifications will be sent out in May)